When it comes to organizing your Project Life cards, you can find many different approaches. You can organize them by color, by manufacturer, by theme, by designer and also by type. There is no right or wrong way to do this. It is important that it suits your needs and the way you think.
My focus is on color. When I work on my Project Life spreads I reach for a designated color. Because of this I decided to organize my stash by color. You can view my first version here and my second version here. As you can see I started to add some new categories in my second version and also organized my 4x6 cards and not only my 3x4 cards.
Last week I reorganized them again. I still have some cards organized by color but there are also several more categories. I added categories for each main designer I regularly buy something from and only kept the Studio Calico cards organized by color.
- Studio Calico // organized by color
- Season/Month // Easter or Christmas cards and cards that have the month on it
- Kelly Purkey
- Life Love Paper
- Inspire Edition // I only own a few cards of this edition
- Ali Edwards
- Grid/Plain // some grid and plain cards
- Seafoam // I only own a few cards of this edition but also have the digital one
- Printables // here I keep those cards I recently printed but didn't use. Right now there are some from Big City Quiet Designs and some from Paislee Press
- Transparencies // all transparencies go in here
- Letterpress // some are from Studio Calico, some are from Kelly Purkey and some are from Jamaica Makes
- Kelly Purkey
- Studio Calico // not organized by color because I don't own that many cards
- Ali Edwards
- Becky Higgins // because I own a few cards from various editions, I keep them all together in here
- Patterned Paper // cut down patterned paper from various sources.
Besides these cards I also have three Project Life Core Kits (Midnight Edition, Sunshine Edition and Jade Edition) and two Mini Kits (Seasons and Plus One). I keep them in their boxes and pull them out when I want to use one of those cards.
I try to only add cards to my stash I really like and will also use someday. Every few months I go through all my cards and purge the ones I won't use.
Digital cards are stored on my computer and I try to only print what I use. When I only need to print one card I print a second one to not waste the paper (I can print directly onto 4x6 cards). Those extra cards go into the printable section.
For my dividers I used white Bazzil Cardstock which I cut down to 3x4 and 4x6. To create my tabs I used this Stamp + Die Set from Studio Calico. I like that it comes with a fitting stamp set. I used one of the tab stamps to create my colored tabs.
Those wooden boxes are actually drawers from the MOPPE mini-dresser from IKEA. I have those drawers (not the whole thing) for years and use them to store smaller things.
Nicole has a great blog post about the whole process of creating categories and those dividers. And I also highly recommend the workspace class from Studio Calico if you are interested to organize your craft space.
How do you organize your Project Life cards?